Wednesday, October 3, 2007
Flow
I think that in a classroom you have a balance of all the experiences around you. I think flow would allow students to be totally immersed in their work. This flow allows students to generate a passion about learning and make a deep connection with the material. Flow also has some dangers. It could allow people only to gain knowledge of what they like to experience and prevent them from being exposed to great outside experiences. I liken this to allowing children to make their own decisions about what to eat. If it were up to kids they would probably only eat ice cream and cookies because they love to eat it. Parents have to balance a kids diet because we know that ice cream all the time is not good for you. As teachers our job is to expose students to numerous experiences that they might not be subject to in their everyday lives. We also understand that flow plays an instrumental role in these experiences. Our challenge to take all the lessons in our classroom and create some type of flow around them. I try to encourage flow by having fun labs that coordinate with the science curriculum. This generates excitement about the lesson and allows students to make deeper connections with the material.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment