Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Results Now

I am shocked about the statistics that was put forth about the article. After reading the article as I walked down the hall I started to peek into classrooms to see if there was any truth to the study. I found the exact opposite to what the studies findings. Many of the classrooms had activities in which the student was involved in the lessons. Teachers were challenging students to think on a higher level. I feel all schools have a few teachers that are described in the article, but most are constantly trying to improve themselves. It would be great if it were easy for an administration could terminate the teacher that does nothing in their classroom, but I also think that tenure has benefits. I believe that the buffer that is between education and the public is sometimes necessary. In my school too many parents believe that they know how things should be taught in the classroom. Without this buffer, teaching would be extremely difficult. As with any profession we constantly need to improve ourselves and I see many teachers always looking for new effective methods to educate their students. I think the article focuses on the negative aspects that we are all trying to fix and doesn’t focus on the positive aspects or the challenges that occur within the classroom.

1 comment:

Prof. Bachenheimer said...

I'm glad you did you own "research" to check the facts. What might be even bigger proof would be if your principal would be willing to release you do do some full class observations to check. (Or in the absence of that, have a chat with your principal to see if he/she concurs with your assessment.)